Any piercing is an accessory that may or may not replace other old fashioned accessories. The nape and neck piercings are as visible as any necklace and they are considered more interesting and nonconformist. Since we’re talking about surface piercings, these must be performed by a piercing technician who knows what he or she is doing. Numerous surface piercings end up rejected by the body because they were improperly done. The piercer you choose has to use a staple-shaped surface bar. This is conceived especially to prevent rejection and encourage healing.
There are multiple types of nape and neck piercings categorized by exact location. For example, you can pierce the middle of your neck, the area between your collar bones, go for a diagonal piercing on the side that resembles a vampire bite, create a corset with multiple rows of piercings, decorate the nape of your neck vertically, horizontally and in any other way you can think of. You can use your imagination and even create beautiful patterns if you are tolerant to a medium level of pain. Microdermals are sometimes chosen too.
The pain factor
- 1 The pain factor
- 2 The cleaning routine
- 3 1. Vertical neck piercing
- 4 2. Horizontal nape piercing
- 5 3. A row of three
- 6 4. Another row of three
- 7 5. Pearl beads on neck’s nape
- 8 6. Just below the collar bone
- 9 7. Pretty neck corset with red ribbon
- 10 8. An elegant nape microdermal
- 11 9. Piercing corset like a choker
- 12 10. A centered staple-shaped surface bar
- 13 11. Two crystal drops behind the ear
- 14 12. A pink row of three
- 15 13. Right between the collar bones
- 16 14. Microdermal piercing below the hairline
- 17 15. Hair and piercings on point
- 18 16. Microdermal as neck piercing
- 19 17. A row of five
- 20 18. Staple-shaped surface bar with blue beads
- 21 19. Nape and back piercings
- 22 20. Parallel to the jaw bone
- 23 21. Keep your hair up
- 24 22. Nape corset with blue ribbon
- 25 23. Longer barbells for swelling
- 26 24. Shiny, tasteful dot
- 27 25. Like a genuine vampire bite
- 28 26. A galaxy of piercings
- 29 27. Horizontal piercings under the collar bones
- 30 28. Dermal piercing and necklaces
- 31 29. A piercing and a tattoo
- 32 30. Shining on three levels
- 33 31. Taking baby steps
- 34 32. A fresh neck piercing
- 35 33. One piercing for each side
- 36 34. A classical nape piercing
- 37 35. Shiny stud at the base of the neck
- 38 36. Fake piercings for neck and back
- 39 37. Piercings placed on the sides
- 40 38. Staple-shaped surface bars fit best
- 41 39. Tattooed beauty with a dermal
- 42 40. Three dermal beads aligned
- 43 41. Like the eyes of an owl
- 44 42. An idea for extensive body mod
- 45 43. Don’t let hair get in the way
- 46 44. A diamond and a bead
- 47 45. Curved barbell on neckline
- 48 46. Accessories for behind the ear
- 49 47. Long bars have a purpose
- 50 48. Use Photoshop to create a look
- 51 49. Reddened skin means success
- 52 50. Huge rings as nape piercings
- 53 51. Fresh neck piercings for a gorgeous corset
- 54 52. Dermal piercings along the hairline
- 55 53. Build a pyramid with nape piercings
- 56 54. Lower vampire bite effect
- 57 55. A meaningful combination of nape piercings
- 58 56. Surface skin perforation
- 59 57. Where the collar bones meet
- 60 58. Double nape piercings
- 61 59. Three barbells on the side
- 62 60. Embedded microdermal stud
- 63 61. Accentuate your physiognomy with neck piercings
- 64 62. A triangle with equal sides
- 65 63. Neck piercings come in different colors
- 66 64. Swollen nape of the neck
- 67 65. Side neck piercing idea
- 68 66. A well-placed staple-shaped surface bar
- 69 67. Long and straight barbell
- 70 68. Feminine chest piercings
- 71 69. Staple-shaped surface bar with large beads
- 72 70. The migration risk is real
- 73 71. A stable piercing base
- 74 72. Beware of scarfs, blouses and so on
- 75 73. Wear loose clothing
- 76 74. The perfect perforation type
- 77 75. Uncovered skin heals faster
- 78 76. Clean your piercing often
- 79 77. The rejection symptoms are…
- 80 78. The healing process is reversible
- 81 79. Fitted for both men and women
- 82 80. Collar bone microdermals for chicks
- 83 81. The classical goes both ways
- 84 82. Looking pretty by the book
- 85 83. Don’t touch or fiddle
- 86 84. Piercing and tattoo combo
- 87 85. Microdermal piercings wide apart
- 88 86. Undercut and nape piercing
- 89 87. Turn your back with style
- 90 88. A pair of boldness
- 91 89. The tiny red dot
- 92 90. Accessorizing the side of the neck
- 93 91. A dragonfly made of piercings
- 94 Pay for professional services
People who got nape and neck piercings didn’t report a high level of pain. One person said that she felt more pain when she had an industrial piercing done. So, since we’re talking soft tissue here, you shouldn’t experience a great level of pain either. However, do not expect it to be completely painless. When there is skin perforation involved, there will be more or less pain, blood leaks and swellings that are totally normal. After 3 to 4 days, this piercing type will not hurt you anymore, but you will have to care for it until it is fully healed, between 2 and 6 months. This also applies in case of microdermals.
The cleaning routine
What you need is salt water that you can make yourself or buy. Soak a cotton swab in salt water and gently wipe and press it against the pierced area. This must be done twice per day, for as long as it is necessary. It goes without saying that you should wash your hands before touching your piercing. Extra cautions may be taken too, such as avoiding to sleep on the piercing, putting makeup on it, going to public pools, playing sports that represent an injury risk and so on. Do not skip the cleaning routine unless you want to increase the danger of infection.
1. Vertical neck piercing
Unlike the nape of the neck, the frontal part is meaty enough to allow the insertion of a vertical piercing.
2. Horizontal nape piercing
This is the most common location for a nape piercing. Usually, it is place just below the hairline.
3. A row of three
By the look of these piercings, they are microdermals. This means, they are inserted under the skin, with the help of an anchor that serves as base.
4. Another row of three
These too look like dermal piercings. She created a nice effect by choosing different sized jewelry.
5. Pearl beads on neck’s nape
Microdermals have a stronger base at the nape of the neck to hold on to, so they could be more recommended than the classical ones.
6. Just below the collar bone
This is a classical surface piercing, that has an entry and an exit point as well. The barbell goes under her skin.
7. Pretty neck corset with red ribbon
This neck corset requires 6 piercings. Some people view this piercing style as fashionable and call it play piercing.
8. An elegant nape microdermal
Keeping your hair up is a really good idea during the healing period. You wouldn’t want any strands of hair getting stuck in your new piercing.
9. Piercing corset like a choker
Chokers can definitely be replaced by neck piercings arranged like a corset. You can change the ribbon anytime you want!
10. A centered staple-shaped surface bar
Straight and curved barbells are also used for nape piercings. However, the staple-shaped surface bar is the most recommended jewelry shape for this type of piercing.
11. Two crystal drops behind the ear
Finesse is the word that comes to mind when looking at these crystal drops. They are most probably dermal piercings.
12. A pink row of three
When sporting multiple piercings, playing with colors is easier. Pink, purple and black shades compliment her nape of the neck.
13. Right between the collar bones
The skin between the collar bones is ideal to pierce because it is harder to accidentally touch and it is meaty enough too.
14. Microdermal piercing below the hairline
A tiny stud may make a wonderful combination with a thin necklace if you want to wear both.
15. Hair and piercings on point
Just as undercuts of hair tattoos, nape piercings are meant to decorate parts of our bodies that we prefer.
16. Microdermal as neck piercing
A microdermal piercing is not necessary less painful than a regular, surface piercing. You just have to decide on the look you like.
17. A row of five
Playing with colors and sizes can turn out to be delightful! However, if you get so many piercings, you won’t be able to sleep on your back or clean your piercings by yourself.
18. Staple-shaped surface bar with blue beads
Who said a staple-shaped surface bar is boring? You can choose from a large variety of beads colors and shapes.
19. Nape and back piercings
Play piercings or not, this row of six looks a little painful. They’re all red, so I guess she got them all at once.
20. Parallel to the jaw bone
This piercing aligns beautifully with this girl’s jaw. It also looks like a vampire bite, but without the blood.
21. Keep your hair up
Letting your skin breathe and keeping it away from humidity and germs, will speed up the healing process.
22. Nape corset with blue ribbon
The rings don’t actually go through her skin, so I think she got dermal piercings and attached the rings to them. Quite ingenious!
23. Longer barbells for swelling
The insertion of longer barbells is usually recommended because the skin will swell and it needs no constrictions.
24. Shiny, tasteful dot
Piercings are supposed to be extreme, but there’s nothing extreme in this shiny, tasteful dot now is it?
25. Like a genuine vampire bite
Are you a fan of vampires? You can wear neck piercings with red stones to make it look like you were bitten.
26. A galaxy of piercings
Planets align on the sky and on your skin. You can decide whether or not it’s worth the trouble.
27. Horizontal piercings under the collar bones
More like chest piercings than neck piercings, these two emphasize the elegance of well-defined collar bones.
28. Dermal piercing and necklaces
If you don’t want to fully replace necklaces, then you can combine a dermal neck piercing with necklaces.
29. A piercing and a tattoo
This girl’s idea is fun and humorous. She got a tattoo of a mustache and a nape piercing.
30. Shining on three levels
An inverted dermal necklace, this combination might sting a little, but the result is worth it!
31. Taking baby steps
One dermal piercing is a great way to start. Piercing is a body modification art that requires baby steps.
32. A fresh neck piercing
Fresh neck piercings will stay red for up to 4 days after the perforation is done.
33. One piercing for each side
A surface piercing cannot be this long, so the alternative is to get two separate dermal piercings.
34. A classical nape piercing
Arranging your hair in two ponytails is a wonderful way to show off your classical nape piercing.
35. Shiny stud at the base of the neck
Such tiny piercing doesn’t require too much commitment. It will inevitably leave a mark though.
36. Fake piercings for neck and back
Those piercings look a little fake, but that’s not a sure thing. Trying on fake piercings can help you decide if you want real ones or not.
37. Piercings placed on the sides
This beauty’s neck piercings are placed on the sides of her neck. Her necklace is one of a kind!
38. Staple-shaped surface bars fit best
If you look closely, you can see these are staple-shaped surface bars. Well done!
39. Tattooed beauty with a dermal
Even if you have tattoos, you might still experience pain from a dermal piercing.
40. Three dermal beads aligned
This piercing arrangement and the classical nape piercing are the two most common choices among nape piercing lovers.
41. Like the eyes of an owl
It’s funny how her piercing beads look a lot like the owl’s eyes from her necklace.
42. An idea for extensive body mod
What this girl did in her chest means commitment. There is a long row of piercings that nicely frame her breasts.
43. Don’t let hair get in the way
Pulling off your piercing is easier than you think. That’s why you need to keep hair away from it.
44. A diamond and a bead
Certain parts of the neck can be decorated with curved barbells. This piercing is an example in that regard.
45. Curved barbell on neckline
People with less thin skin can wear curved barbells on their necklines.
46. Accessories for behind the ear
The area behind your ear needs attention too. Accessorize it with a few dermal piercings.
47. Long bars have a purpose
As mentioned before, long bars allow the skin to swell as much as it’s necessary. I wouldn’t keep the necklaces on though.
48. Use Photoshop to create a look
You can take a picture of the area you want to pierce and modify it in Photoshop. In this way, you will have no unpleasant surprises.
49. Reddened skin means success
If your skin is red and your jewel is in place, it means you’re off pain! However, extended redness might be a sign of infection.
50. Huge rings as nape piercings
After the holes are healed, you can insert different piercings. It is advisable to think the change through if you want to have the piercings for a long while.
51. Fresh neck piercings for a gorgeous corset
Play piercing often involves piercing the skin, but not keeping the jewels in. It’s a form of art and pleasure.
52. Dermal piercings along the hairline
The area between the hairline and the ear is available for piercings too!
53. Build a pyramid with nape piercings
He could use a dermal piercing at the top of this pyramid.
54. Lower vampire bite effect
You never know where the vampire is going to bite you!
55. A meaningful combination of nape piercings
Piercing doesn’t have to be completely meaningless. You can build patterns.
- 75+ Most Impressive Sun, Moon And Star Piercings of All Time
- 55 Dermal Piercings That Look Like They Belong
- 90 Attractive Philtrum Piercing Makeup Ideas and Risks
- 90 Septum Piercing Designs To Get In Line With Celebrities
- 90 Ideas to Embellish Your Lips With Labret Piercings
56. Surface skin perforation
By the looks of these two rings, they aren’t meant to stay. The skin over them is simply too thin.
57. Where the collar bones meet
Celebrate the meeting point of your collar bones with a dermal bead.
58. Double nape piercings
Nicely healed and balanced, these double nape piercings look awesome!
59. Three barbells on the side
The side of the neck is very sensitive, so you might feel slightly more pain and stinginess.
60. Embedded microdermal stud
Flat beads are also an option for microdermals. They look embedded into skin, which is nice if that’s what you’re going for.
61. Accentuate your physiognomy with neck piercings
This person’s neck is well defined and accentuated by the neck piercing.
62. A triangle with equal sides
Don’t be scared by the redness of her skin. She is just irritated because she got three piercings at once.
63. Neck piercings come in different colors
There’s virtually every color available for neck jewelry.
64. Swollen nape of the neck
This isn’t aesthetically nice to look at, but it’s something you will also go through if you decide to get pierced.
65. Side neck piercing idea
This particular piercing position isn’t very popular, but it’s definitely an interesting idea.
66. A well-placed staple-shaped surface bar
This is how a well placed staple-shaped surface bar looks like.
67. Long and straight barbell
Inserting a straight barbell is less painful than inserting a staple-shaped surface bar, but the latter is safer.
68. Feminine chest piercings
A woman’s collar bones contribute to her gentle and sexy image. So are the piercings placed below the collar bones.
69. Staple-shaped surface bar with large beads
Large beads are easier to pull, but with a little care, they will stay in place.
70. The migration risk is real
Migration and rejection are the risks of any surface piercing.
71. A stable piercing base
Deep skin perforation isn’t recommended, but the piercing can’t be too close to the surface either.
72. Beware of scarfs, blouses and so on
Any clothing article can irritate the piercing area. Keep them away.
73. Wear loose clothing
Loose clothing or a blouse like the one in the picture are recommended.
74. The perfect perforation type
This is what you’re looking for if you want a nape piercing.
75. Uncovered skin heals faster
Try to keep the pierced area uncovered. The tissues will heal faster.
76. Clean your piercing often
If you go outdoors in polluted areas with a lot of dust, clean the piercing as soon as you get home.
77. The rejection symptoms are…
…fever, extreme redness, pain, fatigue, dizziness.
78. The healing process is reversible
If you accidentally pull your piercing, but don’t damage it too hard, care for it as it were fresh.
79. Fitted for both men and women
Nape and neck piercings are fitted for both men and women.
80. Collar bone microdermals for chicks
However, you’ll rarely see this idea in men.
81. The classical goes both ways
This classical nape piercing is met as often in women as in men.
82. Looking pretty by the book
You can’t go wrong with a nape piercing if you follow all the rules.
83. Don’t touch or fiddle
Don’t touch your piercing unless you wash your hands first. Also, don’t fiddle!
84. Piercing and tattoo combo
There are countless ways you can combine neck piercings with tattoos.
85. Microdermal piercings wide apart
When there is no bar connecting them, you can place the piercing as wide apart as you wish.
86. Undercut and nape piercing
Undercuts and nape piercings make good combos too.
87. Turn your back with style
People often tend to accessorize the body parts they see, forgetting about those that others see.
88. A pair of boldness
As fragile as women are, they are also bold.
89. The tiny red dot
Red dots work as neck piercings too!
90. Accessorizing the side of the neck
Truth is, there are no other jewelry for the side of the neck but piercings.
91. A dragonfly made of piercings
Creating such an elaborate pattern requires dedication, patience, money and a high tolerance to pain if done all at once.
Pay for professional services
Whether you decide to get a surface piercing or a microdermal piercing, you should look up a professional piercing parlor. Both types of piercings are complicated and require experience, not to mention a clean environment. Nape and neck piercings cost $50 on average per pierce. Moreover, a microdermal piercing ranges between $40 to $120, depending on the shop. Jewelry can be bought from the salon or prior to the appointment, but has to be properly sized and made of the right materials. Happy piercing!